KOHEN PRYOR SMITH

Friday, June 10, 2011

Biggest Fears

Last Saturday one of my biggest fears came true.
Kohen fell in the pool.


I was about to go to the grocery store and Kohen and Jason were playing outside.  I looked through the window and saw them.  I had this feeling come over me and I knew I didn't need to leave.  I thought about Oprah and how she has done so many shows about a mother's intuition.  I remember thinking, "Is that what this feeling is?".  I walked outside and told Jason that he really needed to watch Kohen.  Jason said that he knew that and for me to go.  I went back inside and looked out the window again.  I still had that same feeling.  I walked back outside and that's when Kohen fell in the pool.  Jason immediately threw down his phone and jumped in the pool and got Kohen.  I flew down the stairs and was screaming SH*T!!!!  Please excuse my language, but my kid was at the bottom of the swimming pool.  When Jason pulled Kohen above the surface, Kohen's eyes were closed and he was gasping for air.  He started coughing.  The next couple of minutes were a blur.  I just remember Jason patting him on the back really hard and telling him (and me) that it was going to be okay.  They were both fully clothed.  I also remember saying that I KNEW I didn't need to leave for the grocery store!

I'm SOOOO thankful that Jason was able to jump in so fast.  It could have been so much worse.  For those of you who don't know, Jason lost his 2 1/2 year old nephew to drowning in a swimming pool.  Same age that Kohen is now.  And Kohen looks just like Jason's nephew TREY.  This weighed EXTRA heavy on my heart as I laid awake thinking and crying about Kohen falling in the pool that night.


Kohen has not been in our backyard without a life jacket on since this happened.  I do need to say that Kohen did not mean to fall in the pool...  he was by the edge playing with the water hose and tripped over his shoes.  He tried to catch his balance before falling in the water but wasn't able to.  He hasn't acted scared around the water, but I can tell he's a little more cautious.        

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Please put a barrier around you pool!

Brandi said...

I want a pool sooo bad but I too have a 2 1/2 yr old and am scared to death that he could fall in. Mother's intuition...crazy huh!! So glad your sweet boy is ok. Praise Jesus!!!!!