KOHEN PRYOR SMITH

Friday, March 13, 2009

4 (and a half) month check up

We had our 4 (and a half) month check-up today.  We always make our appointments on Friday afternoons so Jason can go too.  Dr. Baker doesn't always work on Friday afternoons so this is why we didn't go when Kohen was exactly 4 months old...  I've been really excited about this appointment for some reason, I guess I just like to hear that my baby is doing good.  We went to see Dr. Karen Baker (the BEST) at 2:30ish today with a list of questions.  She is such a great doctor.  She spends SOOOO much time with us and really puts [my mind] at ease.  Today Kohen weighed 17 lbs. 4 oz....I was amazed to see this was in the 50-75% range.  I guess I have heard from soooooooooooooooooooooooo many people that he is so "fat", "butterball", and "FLUFFY"  yes...a lady told me my baby was fluffy....so I thought he must be way over-weight, but she said his weight is just fine.  It must be the cheeks that throw everyone off :)  All I know is that he gets this "fluffyness" from his daddy!  Jason was a CHUNK when he was a baby!  I was very, very tiny.  In fact, I was needing surgery very young, but had to wait until I weighed at least 20lbs before they would operate...I didn't weigh 20 lbs until I was 18 months old.  Kohen is 4 1/2 months and already weighs 17.4!!!  That's okay, I'm lovin' havin' a healthy baby!!!  He also measured 25.5" which is also in the 50-75% range.  (his head was 17").  We found out today that Kohen has a lateral birth mark on the back of his leg.  We noticed it when he was about 2 months old and didn't know what it was.  We thought it would go away, but it never has...I love his little birth mark, I think it's cute :)  Another concern we've had since the day he was born was his toes...The first time we saw Dr. Baker, we showed her our concern about his toes.  His second toe (on both feet) completely overlaps his third toe.  (If you look at his pictures at the very top of the page, you can tell that his toes are, I like to call it "ganked" up.  It looks like he only has 4 toes on each foot).  She told us each visit that she thought it would fix itself and he would be fine...today was different.  Today she re-examined his toes and told us it was NOT going to fix itself on its own.  He would (possibly) need surgery.  Jason and I totally are on opposite pages as far as his toes are concerned.  I tend to be more positive about the situation and think "there's no way my baby is going to need surgery" and Jason is leaning more towards surgery.   He said his baby boy WILL be playing sports and therefore needs his toes fixed!  I don't know...I am just still hoping that once Kohen walks, it will not be a problem...Overall, if the only thing that's wrong with my sweet baby is his toes...I'll take it :)  Dr. Baker said he is doing great, eating great, sleeping great, overall...great :)

No comments: